So I had to write this story down before I forgot about it.
Melia and I went swimming at the El Cerrito community pool right by our house on Sunday. It was a really nice, sunny day with a little bit of a breeze. As usual, Melia was being extra friendly with all the kids in the pool and as it usually happens she befriended a bigger girl - this one happened to be 5 years old. So she and Melia were playing together and she asked Melia how old she was. Melia said "two" and she tells us that she has a little sister that's 2 1/2. This little girl looks at me and asks where Melia's big sister is. I tell her that Melia doesn't have a big sister and is our only child. She proceeds to ask me why Melia doesn't have a big sister and I am not really sure how you answer a question like that and I just say well she happened to be our first child. Without missing a beat, this girl says to me very matter-of-factly "well then why didn't you get married earlier so she could have a big sister?" I just sat there looking at this girl's dad (who was sitting outside the pool but could hear the whole conversation) and just started laughing. I looked at her and was speechless. Later on her dad was walking by and tried to apologize for her giving me the third degree and I told him no, no - it was hilarious.
This was one of those precious moments you get to experience as these little people start to become big people. It was truly priceless.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Makes perfect sense to me!!!!
Post a Comment