Saturday, December 06, 2008

Goodbye, old friend



We lost a member of the family today, a dear friend. Today, around 5pm, we lost Tiger. Yes, the beloved best friend of Melia. The one she wakes up to, cries on, holds over her shoulder like a sack of potatoes, throws at Abby, throws down the stairs and then chases, cuddles with, wears on her head, sleeps with, and can't live without.


Today, while strolling through Union Square on the way back to our car, Melia must have thrown Tiger onto the ground. This has happened before, many times. But in the past, I have always caught it. But tonight, I didn't. I feel like a bad mom for not catching it. I know, I need to cut myself a little slack, afterall, there were hundreds and hundreds people surrounding us, rushing in and out of stores and carrying shopping bags. It was just after I paid for parking and was waiting in line for the valet that I noticed he was gone. Panic struck. Oh no. OH SHIT! I raced back to the elevator, thinking she threw him out in there. Nope. Went to the pay station. Nope. So we retraced our steps 2-1/2 blocks back to Gap, where I last saw him. Nope. I checked gutters, trash cans, stores, the hands of kids, homeless people. Nope.

"Melia, I am so sorry! Tiger is all gone, he went bye bye! I am so sorry sweetie." Melia shrugs her shoulders (she does this when she can't find him) and asks for Tiger. My heart was broken. We made it back to the car, she was looking for him. On the ride home, Melia talked the entire time, but moped. It was awful.

But that Tiger sure did have a good life. He was the most loved little tiger that ever existed. I only hope that wherever he is, he is safe and warm.

Rest in peace, little tiger.

No comments: