Monday, May 14, 2007

A shower, a birthday, and a celebration of motherhood

Schedule for May 12, 2007:

SATURDAY: party for Melia
SATURDAY NIGHT: birthday party for Krista
SUNDAY: Mother's Day brunch

Whew! As you can see, it was some weekend. On Saturday, we had a HUGE party celebrating the upcoming arrival of our daughter, Melia. We had about 60 friends and family over to help us with the celebration. Juan's Place in Berkeley did the catering, my friend Michele baked us a beautiful 3-tiered chocolate cake covered in pink cherry blossoms, and Ryan served up his famous pink margarita's from sippy cups. The weather turned out to be perfect and the festivities didn't end until well after 8pm! Thank you to everyone who came out and made the day so special. And thank you to Janie, Heather, Laura and Becky for hosting the coolest baby shower ever- you ladies ROCK!



Then it was time for party #2. Only I didn't know this one was happening! Janie, Heather and Aunti Mel were in town for another night; around 10pm Ryan brought out a small birthday cake from my favorite bakery, Katrina Rozelle in Oakland. I opened a few more presents, we talked, and then finally hit the pillows sometime after midnight. You may not believe this, but I actually slept the entire night!

On Sunday it was Mother's Day. My first! I woke up early and spent some time alone in the nursery. One by one Heather (my sis-in-law), Janie (my mother-in-law) and Aunti Mel woke up and the four of us were hanging out in the nursery, talking. The sun was shining and there was a slight breeze coming through the window. It was so neat! Ryan finally woke up around 10:30. After we all got ready we went and had a YUMMY brunch at Cock A Doodle cafe in Oakland. We had banana rum waffles, graham cracker-crusted french toast, lemon ricotta pancakes...have you ever heard of something so divine? If you haven't been there, you are missing out.

My sister-in-law Lisa sent me this poem, which I think sums up the weekend. For all of you mom's out there, I hope you read this and enjoy it- it brought tears to my eyes.
http://www.dltk-holidays.com/mom/motherhood.htm

No comments: