Sunday, June 03, 2007

37 weeks: The Peeing Contest

I can't believe she is almost here! It's so amazing that this thing in my belly is no longer a little bean, that she could actually survive on her own if she were outside! Wow.

I am at the point where I see my doctor weekly, have been for a few weeks. I must say, I am now a pro at peeing in a cup. (Each visit to the doc requires a pee-sample to test for proteins) This was not an easy task in the beginning. When you pee in the cup, you have to first catch it in the cup, which can be tricky, and hope you don't get any on your hand. After washing your hands (I wonder how many women DON'T do this) you have to carry the cup out of the bathroom without a lid and hand it to the nurse. This could be a dangerous mission should someone come around the corner who wasn't paying attention. The slightest bump or stumble could send the pee flying. And sometimes the nurse isn't right there so you are just standing around, pee in hand. But I have been doing it so long now that I am sure I'd win first prize in the "peeing in a cup" contest, if there were such a thing.

My latest visit was on Friday, where I received another ultrasound to see which position Melia was in. Let me tell you, it was a busy week trying to get her to turn around. I saw the chiropractor twice, the acupuncturist, hung upside down, did a lot of cat/cow yoga poses, had Ryan burn moxa sticks at my feet, and even played some Bob Marley between my legs to see if she'd dance into the proper position. So did all of this hard work pay off?

No.

Nosiree.

She hadn't moved a bit.

Ho hum. At least I found out that I am group Strep B negative so I won't need antibiotics during labor.

But that is ok that she hasn't turned. It's Melia's decision, not mine. This is our first lesson in parenting- we are no longer in control!
So I am going into the labor and delivery department on Tuesday for the version. I hear the version is like a bad Indian Burn on your belly. I am SOOO not looking forward to this. They do give you meds to relax the uterus, but nothing for discomfort. Supposedly Melia is in prime postion for success. Of course, I think my doc was only telling me this to make me feel better. But if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. And I am totally fine with it, so long as mommy and baby are safe and healthy. Perhaps there is a reason she doesn't want to turn, like she doesn't want to put her mommy through an agonizing labor.

I can't wait until I have my body back. I don't mean my pre-pregnancy body- that will take some time- but to have the movements in my body be my own...that I can't wait for! I also can't wait to eat sushi and roast beef with blue cheese, and to have a small glass of wine while preparing dinner. But most of all, I can't wait to see our little girl! Who will she look like? What color eyes will she have? Will she have lots of hair? Will she be a picky eater like Ryan? Dear god I hope not. Oh, and the cuddles. And gurgles. And kisses.

Ryan and I are the luckiest parents alive. :-)

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Melia's room looks so cute. I'm checking the blog daily just in case... Can't wait to meet her : )